AzaSite®(azithromycin ophthalmic solution) 1%
AzaSite is a macrolide antibiotic indicated in the U.S. for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis caused by susceptible isolates of the following microorganisms: CDC cornyeform group G,* Haemophilus influenzae, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus mitis group, and Streptococcus pneumoniae. AzaSite was launched in the U.S. in August 2007 by Inspire Pharmaceuticals, Inc.and is now marketed by Akorn, Inc. (NASDAQ:AKRX).
* Efficacy for this organism was studied in fewer than 10 infections.
AzaSite contains the drug azithromycin and is formulated with our patented DuraSite® drug-delivery technology. Azithromycin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. AzaSite represents the first ophthalmic application of azithromycin.
- AzaSite® is a registered trademark owned by InSite Vision, a SUN PHARMA company and is licensed by Akorn, Inc. (NASDAQ:AKRX).
- For information regarding the sale or use of AzaSite® in the United States and Canada Click here.
- For full prescribing information for AzaSite® Click here.
Besivance® (besifloxacin ophthalmic suspension) 0.6%
Besivance is a DuraSite formulation of besifloxacin, a broad spectrum ocular antibiotic approved by the FDA in May 2009 to treat bacterial conjunctivitis (pink eye). An advantage of Besivance is a faster rate of resolution of the infection that may reduce the duration of the illness and reduce the chances of infecting others. Besivance was developed by Bausch & Lomb and launched in the United States in the second half of 2009.
- Besivance® is a registered trademark owned by Bausch & Lomb Corporation.
- For information regarding the sale or use of Besivance® Click here
- For full prescribing information on Besivance® Click here.