AzaSite®(azithromycin ophthalmic solution) 1%
AzaSite is a macrolide antibiotic indicated in the U.S. for the treatment of bacterial conjunctivitis caused by susceptible isolates of the following microorganisms: CDC cornyeform group G,* Haemophilus influenzae, Staphylococcus aureus, Streptococcus mitis group, and Streptococcus pneumoniae. AzaSite was launched in the U.S. in August 2007 by Inspire Pharmaceuticals, Inc., now a subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK).,InSite’s commercial licensing partner for AzaSite in the U.S. and Canada.
* Efficacy for this organism was studied in fewer than 10 infections.
AzaSite contains the drug azithromycin and is formulated with our patented DuraSite® drug-delivery technology. Azithromycin is a broad-spectrum antibiotic that is used to treat a variety of bacterial infections. AzaSite represents the first ophthalmic application of azithromycin.
- AzaSite® is a registered trademark owned by InSite Vision, Inc. and is licensed by Inspire Pharmaceuticals, a wholly owned subsidiary of Merck & Co., Inc. (NYSE:MRK)
- For information regarding the sale or use of AzaSite® in the United States and Canada Click here or call (888) 881-4696.
- For full prescribing information for AzaSite® Click here.
Besivance® (besifloxacin ophthalmic suspension) 0.6%
Besivance is a DuraSite formulation of besifloxacin, a broad spectrum ocular antibiotic approved by the FDA in May 2009 to treat bacterial conjunctivitis (pink eye). An advantage of Besivance is a faster rate of resolution of the infection that may reduce the duration of the illness and reduce the chances of infecting others. Besivance was developed by Bausch & Lomb and launched in the United States in the second half of 2009.
- Besivance® is a registered trademark owned by Bausch & Lomb Corporation.
- For information regarding the sale or use of Besivance® Click here
- For full prescribing information on Besivance® Click here.